A conversation with David at the Opening on Friday January 20 at 6pm
An engaging chat with David who will tell you about his art practice & show you his art works & contraptions, he will open up some of them so you can see how they work
Workshops for children are available see below for more details
Roll up roll up, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, all the fun of the fair is here as artist, and now impresario, David presents us with the results of his latest foray into the world of the automata. His glitzy fabrications see art and mechanics combine to animate the inanimate.
In his endeavours artist Archer is seldom found in the typical well-lit studio in cap and smock, but rather, boiler-suited, tinkering deep in the bowels of discarded gadgetry and domestic junk. In a veritable sea of scrapped machinery he searches for that elusive part which he knows will drive his latest imaginings.
David Archer is a contemporary Automata maker from South Australia, influenced by scenes from carnivals & seaside’s of the Victorian & Edwardian era.
David Archer - Archers Arcadia
“Wacky Wire Critterbug” Workshop
The workshop involves each participant creating their own personalized interactive sculpture that they can take home; using some recycled materials, integrating ideas of environment, science (kinetics/physics) and design…. but mostly it’s fun!
There are limited spaces available for this popular workshop. Suits participants aged from 8 to 14yrs old
“Critterbug”: A morphed insect animal that wobbles and flaps.
Multicolored and bright. No two are the same in the entire Universe.
- Welcome and introductions from the artist and pupils
- Outline of the day’s activities and possible results
- Short video on the artists practice
- Explanation of what automata is
- Look at several art works and the mechanisms used
- The use of recycledmaterials - Examination of working mechanisms
- Tour of David’s exhibition in the gallery space
- Selected books on the subject on view for ideas
- Each participant will have a kit to use
- Selection of materials for individual bugs, involving a lucky dip!
- As a group, guided step by step construction of the Wacky Wire Critterbug
- The drawing and designing of individual elements; template making
- Assembly of parts, fitting of mechanism and decoration of bug
10am-3pm on Wednesday January 25 $60 pp
Bookings are essential, 8388 7250 email@example.com